Search This Blog

Sunday 10 April 2011

London's Left Bank

Did you know that London has it's very own Left Bank? No, neither did I until I checked in to the Rafayel, on the Thames in Battersea and read the hotel's brochure. Hidden away about ten minutes by cab from Vauxhall Bridge, Hotel Rafayel is half way between Wandsworth and Battersea bridges. My car had broken down – which was okay as I had breakdown cover – but I had to take a taxi and my driver admitted he had never heard of the place.
My river view suite – one of 65 rooms in the hotel – was modern and felt very much like the product of a new build: slick and functional. The Banyan restaurant has an eclectic menu with – predictably given its name – an Asian bent. Starters included some failsafes such as tandoori, mixed grill gnocchi and Scottish smoked salmon, although there were a few oddities, like strawberry and feta salad. Mains included Banyan style monkfish in lime and coriander with chilli chips as well as a biryani and chicken tikka. There were plenty of nods to British cuisine in choices such as Angus fillet steak with shitake mushrooms and potato rocket puree and good old fish and chips.

I was delighted by the people who worked at the Rafayal: the driver, the concierge and the fairy cake maker. Aman, a 17 year old from Afghanistan, who picked me up at the station (this service is available to anyone on request) was absolutely charming. Errol, the concierge, was warm, smiley and informative and even Adam the master cake maker stopped to chat with me about my stay.
Rafayel on the Left Bank
34 Lombard Rd - London SW11 3RF
Adjacent to London Heliport
Tel. +44 (0)20 7801 3600,
www.hotelrafayel.com