Search This Blog

Sunday 12 February 2012

In Love Again: the New Size Zero



The New Size Zero 4 Wheel Cabin from Antler is slender, strong and with classic good looks. I am in love again.

There are a few non-negotiables for me when it comes to luggage. It has to have four wheels (for anyone who puts their laptop in their bag, four wheels are not really an optional extra as with only two wheels your luggage is prone to fall over), be cabin compliant and be very light. It’s also got to look good.
After taking the New Size Zero for a road test, Antler are now officially my new favourite luggage manufacturer. I pushed the cabin baggage to the limits at the airport when I had to squeeze my handbag tightly into my one allowed piece of hand luggage on my budget flight. Grrr. The zip didn’t break though and I loved the convenient outside pocket to stash my water bottle. The case was easy to pick up and take off the airport conveyor belt thanks to a carefully designed handle and inside, separate neat compartments and even a hanger loop made for streamlined and organised packing. This suitcase even has central locking. Yes, really. And at the touch of a button. It also has a fixed combination lock.

The multidirectional wheels glided silently – apparently they are patented – and were a very smooth drive even on a sheer rocky mountainside in Lake Garda. The lockable front pocket is an agreeable added extra, as is the three height push-button locking handle which can be adjusted to any size of traveller.

We all have to be size geeks thanks to the ever over complicated cabin baggage allowances with airlines annoyingly having no standard cabin bag size. Don't worry though: the lovely people at Antler have come up with a ingenious cabin bag checker. Each of its cabin baggage items is colour coded (red, green, yellow or blue). Simply match the colour to Antler's cabin bag checker chart to see which airlines will let you take it on board for a stress-free trip.

Antler has been in the luxury travel luggage business for nearly 100 years, and the company's origins go back even further, so I have no doubt I will have to use the New Size Zero's ten-year warranty, but it's nice to have it. Not as nice as it is to have the case itself, though. I love it.