Search This Blog

Wednesday 2 November 2011

Four Wheels Good: Two Wheels Bad

There are a few non-negotiables for me when it comes to luggage. It has to have four wheels (for anyone who puts their laptop in their bag, four wheels are not really an optional extra as with only two wheels your luggage is prone to fall over), be cabin compliant and be very light. It’s also got to look good and it’s got to be expandable.

Samsonite are my favourite luggage manufacturer so I toyed with the idea of the Samsonite Cubelite case which rings in at £259. With four wheels, at 54cms and champagne coloured, it ticks three of my boxes. It is also, it seems, made of a revolutionary ultra tough, ultra light polypropylene material known as Curv. Samonsite proudly tell me they have the patent for this unique material usually reserved for anti-ballistic body armour. Oh and its ‘silent wheels’ are supposedly inspired by airplane propellers. Really. In the end though I was so pleased I plumped for the X’Pression 55cm Expandable Upright Cabin Case, also in a stylish champagne colour and two thirds of the price. I tested the X’Pression to the limits at the airport when I had to squeeze my handbag tightly into my one allowed piece of hand luggage on my budget flight. Grrr. The zip didn’t break though, and the multidirectional wheels were successfully put to the test on a sheer rocky mountainside in Lake Garda. The lockable and removable garment bag is an agreeable added extra, as is the three height push-button locking handle which can be adjusted to any size of traveller. And I loved the outside pocket to stash my water bottle.