Search This Blog

Sunday 23 September 2012

‘Life is what happens to you when you are making other plans’

It's been a long time since I travelled with no plans, just seeing where I ended up. I used to do it all the time as a backpacker but now I am a mother in my 40s, it doesn't seem possible – or is it?
I picked up my camper van with no fixed plan - other than to take to the road, and play it my ear, and perhaps follow the weather.
The fruit and veg stallholder at my local market cheerfully offered to write me an itinerary, rushing off, only to come back with a tattered bit of cardboard with a series of place names written on it (see pic).
I put it on the dashboard alongside a sticker on the windscreen of my van from Wicked Campers (www.wickedcampers.co.uk) that said: ‘life is what happens to you when you are making other plans’ and took off for the open road.